Thursday, April 14, 2011

Are we (the U.S.) still Segregated ?

Disclaimer: If you're looking for a SERIOUS blog on the separation of people in our great country due to their class, race, gender, sexual orientation, ethnicity, or other socio-economic factors ... then you've come to the wrong place.  This is NOT a SERIOUS blog on the topic ... I'm not ready to spout off about anything so heady (although I am certain a very strong argument could be made about how far we have come in our integration efforts, but how far we still have left to go before we really "get there.")

While riding home from work with my awesome older brother Jeremy (thanks again buddy!), I noticed the following sign posted around the corner and down the street from my house:


Of course my twisted brain immediately thought "Why do these poor kids who already have a 'disability' have to be quarantined to a certain area?!  That's just not FAIR !!!"

I shared that comment with my brother and this blog was born out of the discussion that followed.  So herewith are some other "signs of segregation" that you may see in your area or neighborhood.

Why can't they play
with the FAST kids ?!

This sign just makes
me laugh ... I know ...
I'm a horrible person!

I guess this will
save some time ?!

My recommendation: Don't stand idly by and allow these children (or old people) to be so unfairly mistreated.  Invite them over to you home and let them play in your yard.  So what if the neighbors talk.  You can be a trend-setter.  You can make a difference.  Your actions can get those signs taken down so these children (or old people) can play or walk whenever and wherever their hearts desire!  Let's make a real difference and be part of the solution!  :)

...

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the nice "shout out" to me in your post! This was HI-LARI-OUS!! If I had been drinking soda I would have had it coming right out of my nose now (nice image, eh?)! Loved the pictures you included!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I gotta find where you can buy that Elderly sign. I am going to need it in a few years. ;)

    ReplyDelete