Thursday, May 26, 2011

What's a "Turn Signal" ?!

Yesterday, I was reminded of one of my driving pet peeves.

What is it you ask?

Failure to use turn signals, I reply.

I know it shouldn't bother me too much, but it really, really does!
Why do you think they spent time and energy building that into your car?!

So because I had nothing better to do, I decided to do an unofficial test of the drivers around me.  Here were the results (and yes I did write them down as soon as I got to work so I wouldn't forget them.  You can't make this stuff up!):
 - On Powers, from Dublin until Research, 21 people changed lanes in front of me.  Only 6 used their signal before moving over (left or right).
 - At Powers and Hwy 83 only 2 of 15 drivers had their left turn signal on.
 - At Powers and New Life Road it was better ... 8 out of 12 drivers used their right turn signal.
 - At New Life and Voyager Parkway it got worse again ... 3 out of 8 drivers used their right signal.
 - And last but not least, on Voyager, from New Life to Sybilla Lane, 7 people changed lanes in front of me.  Only 2 used their signal before moving over, but one signalled after they moved.  Real helpful ... NOT!

I suppose the reverse is just as annoying ... driving behind someone with a turn signal on who is not ... actually ... turning ... ever!  I just don't think it is too much to ask that we be courteous to others around us as we drive by using the signal for its designed purpose ... to inform others of you intent to turn or switch lanes.  Maybe it is just another sign of the times that people don't feel the need to be courteous any more.

Today's Progressive shirt is a sweatshirt ... and I cannot remember for the life of me when or where or for what reason I got it.  I still like it though.  :)
...

No comments:

Post a Comment