Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Why Is May 2nd Such a Special Day ?

It's a few days late as a blog, but I say it still counts!

May 2nd is the anniversary of the special day when my beautiful fiancee became my beautiful wife!  Maybe next year I will write a whole long blog about the whole day and the ups and downs of the whole experience ... but not today.  Today I am simply going to share a few of my favorite love songs that always remind me of my love for my most amazing wife, Karen!  Each of these songs has special meaning for me related to her, and also to our awesome relationship.  As with any true partnership, there are ups and downs, but the overall painting of our lives together (thus far and for eternity) is more beautiful than either one of us could have imagined individually or created alone.

On to the songs ...

Glory of Love by Peter Cetera
 - This has always been one of my favorite songs, but it took on special meaning once I actually had a person to "live forever" with.  The "glory of love" is in love itself that stands for something more than just a passing relationship or fling.  Love is glorious when it lasts forever!

All I Ask Of You from Phantom of the Opera
 - I am a huge fan of live theater, especially musicals like POTO.  Karen knows this and even though we've only ever been to one performance of live theater together, it was my favorite broadway musical of all time and this song was absolutely mesmerizing!  "Love me ... that's all I ask of you."

Marry Me by Train
 - I heard this song on the radio one time and actually pulled the car over to the side of the road to listen to it turned up super loud so I could hear it all.  The video is cute, but the words of the song make me think about what I am doing to get Karen to "marry me today and every day."  It also makes me think that "forever could never be long enough for me" to be with Karen.

Just When I Needed You by The Nylons
 - Unfortunately I cannot find this on YouTube and have not yet learned how to share my music on this blog ... but this song is absolutely beautiful!  Some of the lyrics go as follows: "I had my dreams, you lived them too.  Sometimes it got so hard to do.  But you'd always be, right next to me, just when I needed you."  And then at the end the music swells and you can hear the passion in the lead singer's voice as he croons "And guess who I find, right by my side, just when I needed you?  Just, when I needed you!"  If I can learn to play the song on the piano or guitar, I'd love to sing it for Karen at our 25th wedding anniversary!

Come What May from Moulin Rouge
(by Ewan McGregor and Nicole Kidman)
 - Another song that I fell in love with the second I heard the first few notes and lines of music.  "Every day I love you more and more.  Listen to my heart, can you hear it sing.  Telling me to give you everything ... but I'll love you, until the end of time."  The only part I don't like is that they sing about loving each other until their dying day.  I know Karen and I will be together FOREVER, even after our passing from this mortal existence.  But I guess forever doesn't rhyme with "Come What May" so it'll have to do ... or maybe I can just think about it as an "eternal dying day" which will never come ... yeah, I like that even better!  :)

1 2 3 4 by the Plain White T's
 - I hate almost every single song that involves math, but this one is just too cute and the lyrics perfectly describe how I feel about Karen.  It is also very creative have they sing "There's only ONE thing TWO do.  THREE words FOUR you ... I love you."  I know "to" and "for" are spelled as numbers, but it's cute and I like it!  Song writing should be creative!  Kudos T's on another awesome song!  Thanks Karen for making "it easy" to say these words all the time!

At the Beginning by Richard Marx and Donna Lewis
 - From the animated feature "Anastasia" which was consequently the movie Karen and I saw together on our official "first date."  I hated to do something so cliche as dinner and a movie on our first date, but it sure turned out okay and this song and movie have always been a part of our life together.  The title sums it up, in that we were "at the beginning" of our dating life and then again "at the beginning" of our married life together for all eternity.  The "journey" has been "wonderful" and will continue to be!

I love you Karen Joy Lockard Case!  Thanks for saying "Yes" 13 years ago and making me the happiest, most blessed, and most-improved-in-every-way-just-for-knowing-you man in the history of the world!

Oh and here's the picture for that day ...

This is a windbreaker that I got from
my first "Mentor" Jake Schow
(our whole coach team had them)
 ...

1 comment:

  1. Awesome song selections!! As I read each one I heard the song in my head, and I loved reading your thoughts about each song! I remember the special video that was made of you and Karen and how "At The Beginning" played during the last part! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete