Sunday, September 18, 2011

Why are you so ... OLD ?!

Yesterday was my 35th birthday.  If you're on Facebook, or follow my brother's blog, or have a calendar that reminds you, or if you saw me yesterday ... then this is not news to you.

Birthdays are funny things.

Some of them are super exciting.
I remember my 12th birthday, when I received the Aaronic Priesthood at church and had my first opportunity to pass the Sacrament.
I remember my 16th birthday and being able to drive (legally) for the first time.
I remember my 19th birthday, when I was finally old enough to serve a mission for my church.

Some of them are disappointing.
I remember my 22nd birthday, when I was newly married but still had to work the whole day!
I remember my 30th birthday, when I was no longer "young."  (But that day was very good because Karen whisked me away on a romantic weekend).

Some of them are just "there"
to remind you it's been another year.
I remember ... none of these, because they weren't really noteworthy!

And some birthdays have no expectations
associated with them, but turn out to be just
fantastic days filled with fun, food, and family!
I remember ... my 35th birthday ... like it was yesterday!  :)

I had a super great day!  It wasn't perfect, but then it wouldn't be "life" if it was.  The morning began with some basketball (during which I played horribly but I got lots of exercise in so that's always a great start to the day!)  Then I had to head off to work for a few hours, but the conversations with my team members were very enjoyable.  After work I tried to sneak in a short round of golf at a Par 3 course, but it was "closed" due to a tournament (on a Par 3 course?!  Really?!  Whatever!)
The board game VIKINGS ... fun!
So I came home and just hung out with my family, playing some Dr Mario with Karen and my two sons (congrats on your wins against me Ben!)  I then cooked steak (I wanted to grill and Karen was nice enough to let me), hamburgers, and hot dogs for dinner ... which we shared with our good friends the Browns (Jeff, Tiffany, and their kiddos!)  We then played the game Vikings (my choice) with them ... and I actually won the second game (Karen slaughtered us on the first game with a HUGE come-from-behind victory!)  I'll not mention the wasted time watching the BYU football debacle.  And then Karen and I were able to spend some time together, just the two of us, which is a great way to end a great day!

By the way ... the title of this post comes from the movie Despicable Me ... and it has become my favorite line to quote on birthdays.
Props to Rachel Sorensen for knowing that and making that her comment to me on Facebook!  :)

...

1 comment:

  1. Now I know why my parents wanted to stop celebrating their birthdays. Now that I am old, I want to do the same thing! :)

    Glad you had a good birthday. Steak always makes a birthday better!

    ReplyDelete