Monday, October 31, 2011

He Saved Kitchen Fat ?!

That was the question my wife asked me about ...
Bing Crosby.

Here's the backstory:
We've been listening to Christmas music on the Pandora app on our new iPad over the past week.  Every 9 or 10 songs, we hear one by the amazing Bing Crosby from one of the many albums or tv specials he did in his heyday.

This particular time, after singing a duet with a very popular female singer of his time (her name escapes me at the moment), Bing went into his typical discussion of the plight of the American Soldiers overseas.  I do not intend any disrespect to what he did about or for the soldiers.  I think it's great that he used the platform to ask listeners to support these brave men and women.

In this instance he was asking everyone to save their kitchen fat.  Why?  I have no earthly idea!  I am sure there was a very good reason, but that's not the point of this post.  The point is that I commented on his plea for everyone to "save kitchen fat."  Karen asked me "Why did he do that?" to which I responded "It's just something he did back then."

And then's when Karen looked at me even more puzzled and asked
"He saved kitchen fat?!"

Laughter ensued and it took a few minutes for me to clarify what I was trying to say (which is not really important considering we enjoyed the moment much more with a lack of communication!)

...

1 comment:

  1. That is truly bizarre! I suspect that saving kitchen fat was some form of rationing that Americans were encouraged to do to help with the war effort...at least, that's what I HOPE it means!

    ReplyDelete