Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Shouldn't I Be Having More Cravings?

I've got a good buddy who recently posted on Facebook about how he has eliminated soda from his daily intake ... for the past six months!  He wasn't posting this to gain some great accolades from FB friends or to brag about how awesome he is or to deride anyone who indulges in the sugary sweetness of soda (his favorite for as long as I've known him was Diet Mountain Dew ... and mine has long been regular Mountain Dew).  He was just posting because he wanted to share his own personal accomplishment.  Way to go Kevin!

Anyway, I mention this because I have been severely limiting my own soda intake since the start of the year (mostly coinciding with my P90X workouts).  I would be lying if I said I hadn't had any soda, but the truth of the matter is that it has probably been less than 24 ounces of soda (2 cans).  It easily could have been ZERO soda, but I added a little to some lemonade and powerade at some recent trips to McDonalds (their fries are an addiction I will never give up!) ... and I've taken a sip from one of my kid's sodas (or Karen's if she has any) once or twice.


The point of this blog is that I haven't really had any cravings for soda, which is very odd!  Sure, the first week or two were filled with longing for "The Dew" or a Cherry Pepsi / Dr Pepper.  But it was very telling to me a few Sundays ago when I decided to "treat myself" to a can of Mountain Dew.  Two sips in and I couldn't drink any more.  It was just too sweet and sugary tasting!

Perhaps the desire will come back at some point in the future, but for now I am a water fanatic (which I always was at work, but never much at home).  Energy levels are up.  My teeth feel cleaner.  I've noticed changes around the old mid-section (some of that could be the Ab Ripper X workouts though).  I actually crave water now instead of candy sometimes too.

Song Of The Day:
Stick with me here.  The song today is "Water Runs Dry" by Boyz II Men.  In this case, the soda cravings have run dry but there's not really a song about that.  I've always been a Boyz fan from the time I bought their first cassette tape.  One of my other favorite songs of theirs is linked HERE if you want a two-song kind of day.  Awesome melodies, harmonies, and acappella (of course!)

1 comment:

  1. You are way better than me - I can't go cold turkey on soda, but I have tried to drink more water to balance things out.

    ReplyDelete