Friday, February 22, 2013

Where Did This Wall Come From ?!

This post is NOT about me (or anyone else for that matter) being clumsy and walking into walls.  Although that would be an interesting one ... hmm, idea for an April Fool's Day post?

This post IS about metaphorical walls that sometimes seem to come out of nowhere.

I believe we all have them.  I have recognized them most often in sports' seasons, especially when high school players move on to college, or college players move to professional leagues.  But I think anyone who is involved in any sort of repetitive activity is susceptible to these walls.


I have hit a wall when it comes to my motivation around my P90X workouts coupled with my healthier eating habits.  An argument could be made that my "cheat days" on the food front were the first layer of bricks in this wall, but I don't think that's it.  I think it is more of a combination of three things:
 - First, lack of more tangible, physical results from the first 6 weeks.
 - Second, a shift in perspective (who am I trying to impress with some resemblance of a "beach body"?)
 - Third, the realization that NO workout is as enjoyable for me (including before, during, or afterward) as playing a few hours of basketball!

That last thought is probably the main part of this wall.  I have had to give up mid-day basketball on Mondays and Thursdays during these workouts.  And with the church basketball season in progress I have only been playing about 25-30 minutes of ball one time each week.  I think I miss it more than I thought I would.  Not sure how I feel about that though ...

Song Of The Day:
Both the title of today's song and the lyrics (if you're weird like this*) apply quite well to the above subject.  "Wonderwall" by Oasis is a song I didn't appreciate fully until after hearing an a capella version of it.  The original (linked above) is still my favorite version to date.
*I know the song is about love, by why does the wonderwall have to be a person?  The lyrics "I don;t believe that anybody feels the way I do about you now" and "maybe, you're gonna be the one that saves me" could easily be applied to an activity like basketball ... ehh, maybe that's too much of a stretch.  Nevermind.  :)

...

No comments:

Post a Comment