Thursday, March 21, 2013

What Did I Even Pay You For ?!

This is not the hair from our van,
but it was about this thick in some spots
Every new used vehicle comes with some less-than-perfect aspects.  Besides the need for new tires (sooner than later, but not for a few thousand miles) and some assorted aesthetic fixes, there was only one reasonably large concern with our new van: Our friends have pets and had transported them in the van often enough that the vehicle had quite a bit of pet hair on the floor, seats, seat backs, and armrests.
I knew this before we bought the car though, so I thought it was no big deal.  I researched several car detail shops online and over the phone, so we just planned to pay someone to do the 'dirty work' of clearing all that pet hair out before our 3,000+ mile trip across the country.

I found a respected one-man operation and after a few chats on the phone with him, agreed to part with a large but reasonable chunk of money in exchange for his promise to 'get rid of the pet hair' and make it allergy-free for me (I do NOT do well in enclosed spaces with pet dander).

Long story as short as I care to make it ... after 6 hours working on the van, the tires were shiny, the engine glistened, the exterior was washed and waxed, and the floor had been vacuumed and shampooed.  When I picked up the van I was reasonably pleased and paid the man.  But by the time I got home, I could feel that the pet hair was not even close to being "gone."  In fact, on closer inspection when I got home, it almost appeared as though no actual vacuuming or cleaning of the interior had even occurred.  There was as much pet hair inside the van as there had been before!

I know many people will say "Demand your money back" or "Report him to the BBB" or some other actions of the retaliatory sort.  I respect your insight and appreciate your backing me up ... but that's just not me.  Instead, I have left a voicemail for the man and expressed my deep displeasure with the ONE THING I asked him to do having NOT been done.  This is enough for me.  Well that and writing this post.  Well those things and never wasting money on him again.  Well I suppose also making sure to let people know NOT to use him.

DO NOT use this auto detailer ... not worth ANY money
(unless you just want a wash and wax and tires sprayed)

Yeah ... that's enough.

Song Of The Day:
I have wanted to use this song in a blog post for a long time but never felt like the subject was worthy enough for the anger and pain expressed in this song.  I have mentioned many times before how arguably my favorite group of all time is Orchestral Manouevers in the Dark (or OMD for those who like to abbreviate).  There is a whole story behind many experiences I have had with their music, including finding friends who love the group almost as much as I do ... but for today, the song "That Was Then" from one of their more recent albums is all I have time to highlight.  It is more appropriate for an angry break-up song, but applies just as well to my frustrating experience outlined above in this post.
Fool me once, shame on you ... fool me twice?  I don't think so!  That was then ... this is NOW!  Grrrr.

...

No comments:

Post a Comment