Wednesday, April 3, 2013

How Do You Know When You're "Caught Up" ?

Today was my first day back to full-time work after 10 days of "vacation" time with my awesome family.  I was NOT prepared for the amount of work that would be waiting for me.

Sigh.

Under normal circumstances, I simply make a list of the things I need to do ... and then, after time and lots of effort, the list is eventually completed.  All boxes have been checked.  All line items have been crossed out.  All tasks have been reassigned or filed away.  All paperwork has been recycled and the in-box is empty.  The work is done.

Returning from an extended period of time out of the office does NOT fall in the "under normal circumstances" scenario for me.  There is no "DONE."  There is no "CAUGHT UP."  There is not even a list I could create and follow because the needs of those I 'owe' are not only varied, but also are often unspoken in my absence.

I did the best I could.  I cleared my emails (logging on from home last night sure helped with that).  I rescheduled meetings for appropriate times.  I responded to all my voicemails.  I sent out reports and provided updates to everyone who needed information from me.  But I'm not sure if I'll ever be "caught up" because there always seems to be something else that needs my attention.

The woes of an "exempt" or "salaried" employee ... :)

Song Of The Day:
"The Impression That I Get" by the Mighty Mighty Bosstones is my odd choice for today's song.  For me, this song represents appreciation for having a pretty good life (which I do), while also speaking about angst over that same life.  I get the impression that I'll never be caught up, but that's actually not too bad.

...

No comments:

Post a Comment