Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Are You Working Hard Or Hardly Working ?

I have heard it said many times over "Find something you love to do and somebody to pay you to do IT and you'll never work a day in your life."

I suppose that could be true and I'll be sure to let you know if I ever prove that theory ... but I can safely say that 'working hard' is a phrase I try to use sparingly and only in the right circumstances.

Here's an example:
 - Yesterday (Monday, my day off) I spent about 8 hours 'working hard' outside on my never-ending landscape remodeling project.  I moved (lifted, loaded, pushed, unloaded, and placed) at least a literal ton of rocks.  I dug out a trench for one downspout.  I cleared about 10 wheelbarrows of rock/dirt/weed-filled stuff from the front and side yards.  I laid and positioned and eventually trimmed the excess landscaping fabric in our small front easement.
I.  Worked.  HARD.

 - Today (Tuesday, a.k.a. my 'Monday' at work) I spent 9+ hours hardly working.  Oh sure I attended two meetings, facilitated three coaching sessions, met with my boss, met with my new 'loan-in' Supervisor (who I am mentoring), cleared at least 50 emails, rescheduled two other meetings, and checked in with most of my team members.  But that wasn't "hard" and it wasn't necessarily "work."  I was doing something all day long, but by comparison to yesterday I was hardly working.


So I'll have to think for a little while the next time before responding to some acquaintance who asks me this cheesy blog post title question.  I'm not sure which answer is more preferred anymore.

Song Of The Day:
I can think of no more fitting song than "Bang On The Drum All Day" which I guarantee you have heard before.  But did you know who did this song?  Well I didn't.  His name is Todd Rundgren.  Now you know.  You're welcome (special shout out to YouTube for the info).  :)

...

No comments:

Post a Comment