Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Is That Why I Have Short Fingers ?

Disclaimer: I know that there is no actual connection between my fingernail chewing/biting and the size of my hands or length of my fingers ... so please don't try to explain to me how it is not medically possible.  I'm just drawing logical but ill-founded conclusions from unrelated pieces of information.

I have been a fingernail biter / chewer for as long as I can remember (well over 30 years now).  I know it serves no purpose and makes me look nervous, immature, etc.  I have tried to stop more times than I can count.  I've made it months before, but I always end up nibbling them down to the soft tissue eventually.  Even when I clip them regularly, I still find myself chewing them.

I have done a good job to not chew them in front of my children, because I don't want them to pick up this stupid habit.  And thus far that has been a success.  Which got me to thinking ...
 - My hands are fairly smallish compared with someone my height, and my fingers are definitely shorter than they naturally should be.
 - My oldest son, 13 at the time of this post, is already on par to exceed me in height ... and his hands are already as big as mine ... AND ... his fingers seem to me to be freakishly long (they are probably normal sized).

My hand on the right
Josh Jr's (13) hand on the left
I am now convinced that his ability to avoid chewing/biting his nails has allowed his hands to grow at a normal rate, while mine were made shorter because I chewed them off before they could grow fully.

It is the only rational explanation.

I wonder what it would have been like to have full-sized hands.  :)

Song Of The Day:
Any post about hands would have allowed me to use the great song
"Hands To Heaven" by Breathe, but this was the first post I could think of about hands.  Perhas one day, after this life is over, I will no longer be trapped in a fingernail chewing habit AND I might even get a regular-sized pair of hands to use.  That seems fair.

...

No comments:

Post a Comment