Saturday, May 11, 2013

What Has Your Mom Taught You ?

It's time y'all got to meet the greatest mother of all time:  Julie Case

I certainly hope that many children (of any age) feel that their mother is the best in the world ... but I know four people who actually get to claim that as the truth!

Mom, I love you.  More than you realize, your actions have shaped me into the person I am today.  Your example has set the stage for so many different experiences I have been faced with in this life, giving me thoughts and ideas on what to do (or what not to do) as these new challenges arise.

Herewith are a small collection of the countless things you have taught me through the years (I hope some make you chuckle):
 - Let it go.  Sometimes it just doesn't matter.  Sometimes life is bigger than that moment or situation.  Sometimes good things happen to bad people and you have to let them enjoy their unearned glory.  But clinging to that disappointment or hatred and/or continuing an argument that is fruitless only hurts yourself.
 - You can be thrifty, but don't be cheap.  It is a noble ideal to save money or spend money wisely, but sometimes it's better to be a little frivilous.  Vacations with the family are an excellent example.  Gifts for other people are another.  If you save the money from worthless pleasures (eating out all the time) you can blow the savings on lasting treasures (special experiences with family and friends).
 - Argue in private, quietly.  Praise in public, loudly.  This is especially true in your relationship with your eternal companion.  You can be someone's biggest critic and greatest support, but the world should only see the supportive side.  This, above all else, will strengthen your relationships and keep everyone whole.
 - If a job is worth doing, it's worth doing right.  Otherwise, you'll do it over and over and over again until you do do it right.  Laundry piles up, and so do household chores.  You can do all the chores and laundry in one day or spread them out through the week.  And either way is fine.  But do it right!
 - There's chili in the fridge.  No matter where you're coming from or where you're going, no matter the time of day or the season of the year ... there should always be 'chili' in the fridge.  Be a good host or hostess and offer things to your guests even if they turn you down time and again.
 - Music changes the world.  Singing is always free.  Playing an instrument well provides joy to you and others.  Sharing talents (even if limited) makes everyone feel better about themselves.  Listening to music can transport you to anywhere or into any mood you want to be in.  Appreciate different styles, even if people think you're weird.  And sing along in the car at the top of your lungs!
 - Just pick up the phone and call.  Communication may change with technological advances, but an actual live conversation (face to face if you can do it) is the best way to connect, support, show love, empathize, understand, or just get things done.  It means a lot when you take the time to call.
 - Laughing is good.  Being able to laugh at yourself is even better.  Oh look, Josh is home.  Orphan orphan or often as in frequently?  Green food coloring in every piece of our St Patrick's Day dinner.  Life is funny and those who smile more often are finding humor all around them ... and in their own actions.
 - Stand up for yourself, or if you cannot, always have a group of friends who will stand up with you.  Sometimes it is difficult to be the only one ... so surround yourself with the right kinds of people and you'll never have to stand alone for what is right.

Obviously this list could go on for years.  Mom, you've taught me so many wonderful things and despite your own unwillingness to accept it, YOU raised some great kids.  Thank you eternally for loving me enough to let me live through those crazy ADD years.  Thank you for packing my lunches, for baking so many cakes, for throwing special birthday parties, for writing my name in every piece of missionary clothing I had, for yelling at me when I needed it, for consoling me when I needed that, for being quick to forgive me when I thought I knew better, for being quick to thank me when it turns out I actually did have something to teach you.  Thanks for being a great grandma to my 7 kiddos.  Thanks for trying to be the best mother-in-law to my wife.  I love you!

Song(s) Of The Day:
The tune is very catchy.  The singers are super talented.  The message in the words ring true more and more each day.  "A Song For Mama" by Boyz II Men is as close to a tribute to my mother as I can think of ... although I am still prepared to sing "Consider The Lilies" in the long distant future funeral because I know this is what she wants.  Love you mom!

...

No comments:

Post a Comment