Monday, June 24, 2013

What Does That Word Mean ?

I consider my vocabulary to be adequate, bordering on solid, but definitely not above average in many circles.  My knowledge of words and their meanings has increased over the years through a variety of means including television (Frasier used a LOT of big words), scripture or other reading materials, and general conversation with people who sound a lot smarter than me.  But just because I learn a word, doesn't mean that I'll ever really use it again.

Lately, I feel like I have been back in grade school, when I used to have to look up many different words in the dictionary because they were new to me and I did not understand their meaning.  Below is a sampling of words I collected over the past two weeks, which I looked up to ensure I knew their proper use and message the user was intended to convey with them.

Irrevocably                Annealing                    Amalgam

Calvinism                  Eponymous                  Altruistic

Draconian                    Busking                 Preternatural

I will freely admit when I do not know the meaning of a word.  Why would I try to hide it?  I'm better off finding out what it means and then adding it to my vocabulary if I like it enough.  That's why I never play "devil's advocate" any more.  Instead I play the part of contrarian to more fully understand situations that have two or more sides.


Song Of The Day:
I heard the song "The Great Debate" by a group named Down The Line while listening to Spotify as I worked outside in my front yard today.  The best debaters in history certainly had a way with words and I would surmise that they also possessed vocabularies that would easily be above average when compared to their peers.  Hence my selection of this tune as the song of the day.

...

No comments:

Post a Comment