Saturday, August 31, 2013

What Did You Think The Job Was ?

I conducted an interview yesterday for a potential Sales Representative at our call center.  The gentleman inteviewed well and so I took him to shadow (sit with) one of our strong sales reps so he could observe the systems we use, the flow of calls, and see the work environment (cubicles, phones, etc.) that would likely soon be his day-to-day work world.

Fifteen minutes later, one of my peers (who is known for being a prankster) comes to my desk in a bit of a panic and says "I'm about to walk your candidate out."  I asked why and he stated "I'm not sure but he just took his headset off in the middle of the call and then told the shadow rep 'I can't do this.  I need to leave.' so she came and got me."

As it turns out, this man had worked in an insurance call center before for 5 years.  He did not like that job or environment and just didn't want to do it again.  I respect the decision and his willingness to recognize it and act on it so abruptly ... but ... how did he not know that's what we were hiring for?


Song Of The Day:
I have conducted interviews for Progressive for well over a decade now, but I still feel a little down when the candidate isn't a good match for our company and culture.  In honor of this job-searching soul, here is "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For" by U2.  I hope you find it soon ... but maybe don't waste your time interviewing if it is similar to job you previously did and disliked.

...

No comments:

Post a Comment