Saturday, August 17, 2013

Why Can't I Wear Shorts Anymore ?

There seems to be an age at which a man is no longer allowed to wear shorts in public.  I find this inequality very disturbing.  Think about it for a minute.  Women of almost any age are allowed to show off their legs.  Heavier people are also given the freedom to wear arguably "whatever" they want (if you don't believe me go to a local public pool, or worse - Wal-Mart, and then tell me I'm wrong).  So why are men both privately and publicly discouraged from wearing shorts once they get to a certain age?

I bucked the trend and wore shorts to work today.  They aren't cut-offs or worn out jean shorts.  They are khaki shorts that look just as professional as dress pants ... except for the presence of my sun-starved and naturally hair-covered knees, shins, calves, and lower thighs.

So what do you think?  Is it unfair?  Should I just accept that I can't wear shorts again until I am much closer to retirement?  Or should I try to change the status quo?


Song Of The Day:
I think of the movie "Heart And Souls" with Robert Downey, Jr every time I hear the song "Walk Like A Man" by Frankie Valli and The Four Seasons.  I feel it works for this post because sometimes you have to sing in a falsetto, girly voice or wear shorts to get your message across.

...

No comments:

Post a Comment