Saturday, November 2, 2013

2 - Art Thou Greater Than He ?

From the Facebook post little known facts about Josh Case Sr:

2 - My favorite scripture is not in the Bible.

My favorite scripture can be found in the Doctrine and Covenants of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Section 122, verse 8.  It deserves at least a little bit of set-up.

Joseph Smith had been incarcerated on false charges in Liberty Jail in Missouri for many months.  In response to his multiple prayers, in which Jospeh poured out his soul and frustrations, the Lord provided a reminder of the degree of difficulty others face in their lives, while also comforting Joseph and teaching him that his suffering was necessary for him to gain experience.  This specific scripture comes near the end of the Lord's response to Joseph, but has always stuck in my mind as something we should all remember.

D&C 122:8  "The Son of Man hath descended below them all.  Art thou greater than he?"

I sometimes feel my life is hard and that my challenges are more than one man should have to bear.  But the feeling is always fleeting as I contemplate the experiences that Joseph Smith went through during his abbreviated lifetime on this earth.  My situations certainly pale in comparison to his challenges.  And then there is the whole 'nother level of experiences that our Savior Jesus Christ willingly suffered through.  It never takes me more than a few minutes to put things in perspective and realize that I am ridiculously blessed!


Song Of The Day:
In honor of the great man and Prophet that Joseph Smith was, I think it's time for some Mormon Tabernacle Choir and their rendition of "Joseph Smith's First Prayer" which was sung at a General Conference session of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

...

No comments:

Post a Comment