Tuesday, November 5, 2013

5 - How Long Did You Date ?

From the Facebook post little known facts about Josh Case Sr:

5 - I proposed to my wife less than 2 months after we first met.

Here's the deets:
We met (at a church dance) on December 17th, 1997.
We were engaged to be married on February 15th, 1998.

Basically from that first night we met I was 99% convinced I was going to marry her.  Oddly enough, it still took a while before I kissed her (I'm a shy "first kiss" kind of guy).  Also of note, I would have actually proposed to her sooner but she was in Europe for the 3 weeks right beforehand.

I mention this because the world will tell you that there is a certain timeframe you should adhere to when considering marriage.  Even I had a goal, written in my missionary journal, to NOT get married or even date anyone seriously for the first year after my mission.  I did not achieve that goal (returned from my mission on November 5th, 1997; Karen and I were sealed for time and all eternity on May 2nd, 1998) ... BUT ... I would argue that 15+ years of a wonderful marriage later proves my "there is no set timetable" point.

I would caution though, that marriage is a LOT of work and so you'd better do your homework before you make such a monumental commitment.  You'd better make sure your future spouse is willing to work at the marriage with you.  To this day, I am convinced that Karen and I squeezed a year or more of typical dating and courtship activities into those 5 1/2 months from first meeting to eternal marriage in the Denver Temple.  And we still work at our marriage every singly day!


Song Of The Day:
Sometimes you just know and that was the case with my sweet wife Karen.  In a much lesser way, you can also just know the first time you hear a song that you LOVE IT.  That was the case with "Unconditionally" by Katy Perry.  I have probably already listened to it over 100 times and I just like it more each and every time.  Lyrically.  The melody and harmony.  The thumping drum beats.  If you haven't heard it already I really hope you like it!

...

No comments:

Post a Comment