Saturday, January 4, 2014

So You're Not At All Sarcastic ?

In high school, one of my best friends and I were insanely sarcastic to one another.  We could carry on a lengthy conversation (lengthy for high school boys anyway) and scarcely a single comment would be devoid of sarcasm.  We thought we were so cool.  We believed we were witty and in command of our words.  Eventually we believed that our superior intellect could battle with anyone and we would turn any comment into something sarcastic.  The world was ours and we mocked it openly.

That's the problem with sarcasm.

It begins as a simple little thing but can quickly spiral into negative and hurtful speech patterns.  One minute, everyone is laughing and joking.  Then, in an instant, one single comment can be taken a little too seriously and feelings are hurt.  The damage can be irreparable, and not just in high school.

My friend and I attempted a challenge which I would like to openly extend to anyone who is reading this post:
Pick a day, just ONE day, and commit to speaking with NO SARCASM for that entire day.

If you dare to try this, I would preface your day by saying you'll likely fail to make it through without any sarcasm.  That's okay.  The goal is not actually to eliminate the sarcasm but to help you recognize how much of your speech is influenced by this kind of speech.  Be sure to pay attention to your thoughts too because sarcasm can meander into your mind and it's only a short while before it slips from your lips.

I am certainly no saint when it comes to avoiding sarcasm.  I certainly have no claim to suggest I'm not sarcastic.  I know I am.  But I would like to eliminate the kinds of sarcasm that do not provide any real value.  Some sarcasm is witty, funny, and not really disparaging to anyone (I find the self-depricating kind can fit this criteria).  But a lot of sarcasm is more of an excuse to be mean, rude, or say whatever you are thinking regardless of how it comes across.  That's the kind I'd like to eliminate from my own speech.  And I'd love to see others join me in that goal if you'd like to.


Song Of The Day:
Today's song has nothing to do with sarcasm ... and I literally mean that.  I'm doing that on purpose because I can't really think of a song I like that is sarcastic in a positive way.  So instead, please enjoy "Pompeii" by Bastille.  I can't remember where I heard this tune, but I really like it and my friend Craig from high school would almost certainly like this song so shout-out to him!

...

No comments:

Post a Comment