Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Tired Of Shoes In The Entry Way ?

One of my favorite hobbies is to build things.

Below is a picture of a relatively simple shoe rack, which I built a few months ago.  I say relatively simple, but the construction of it was not easy at all.  I used many different tools and there was a lot of measuring, cutting, planning, gluing, drilling, fastening, and installation.

The "front" door has a Christmas decoration on it,
and the "other" door is to our coat closet.
There is no good place for a bench or basket for shoes.
What to do ?!  Oh wait!  How about a shoe rack built like a coat rack.

I had complained many times (and had heard my wife lament it too) about the annoyance of pairs of shoes (some just half of a pair) littering our entryway to our home.  At some point, I decided to stop complaining and just do something about it.  The result isn't a thing of beauty or some amazing solution that everyone should make or try to buy.  It is basic.  It is functional.  It is only 90% finished (I really should rout the edges, fill the screw holes with pegs, and then sand and stain it).  But it works!

I'm always pleased (and grateful to my Heavenly Father for the talent or gifts He has blessed me with) when I imagine something and then build it.  I'm especially pleased when I have less silly reasons to complain.  :)


Song Of The Day:
Today's song is by the great Jimmy Durante.  I am not ashamed to admit the only reason I know this song is from the Sleepless In Seattle soundtrack.
"Make Someone Happy" is a main reason I make little projects like this.  I feel no guilt when the someone being made happy is ME!  :)

...

No comments:

Post a Comment