Thursday, August 14, 2014

Did You Miss Me ?

Sometimes I wonder if we're kidding ourselves when we say we missed someone or something.

"I've missed you."

We say this phrase as a means of expressing what we believe to be sincere missing, but were there ever actual moments of missing that person or thing?  I believe that would have created periods of longing or desire, when one would truly miss something to the point it consumes their whole being.

I can't truthfully say I have felt those feelings more than a handful of times in my life.  And almost always it has been when I am separated from my family.

Sure it sounds nice when expressed to someone you haven't seen in a while, but I doubt the feelings were that deep.  But then again, maybe it's just me.  Perhaps others truly do have those 'I miss you' feelings about lots of people or even things (food, their comfortable bed, summertime, etc.)

"We'll miss you."

This phrase is most often uttered as a preamble to the perceived feelings of missing someone or something.  It also sounds sincere and nice, but you could be lying when you say it.  I certainly thought I would miss having cable television (especially ESPN), but after a very short while, I didn't miss it at all.  I thought I would miss people who have moved away, whether from school, church, work, or even close friends and immediate family.  But even for those I do miss, the feelings are much more infrequent than I believed they would be.
(I am sure my mom will read this and think I mean her, but she ought to know by now that's impossible.  I miss her, and my father, just as frequently as I expected ... very often!)

I'm not suggesting we should stop using these phrases, but it may be setting unrealistic expectations when considering the implications of the lengths we will go to in order to reconnect with these people we miss.  I think I would rather have someone know that I enjoyed our times together and will always remember them fondly, but that I won't likely miss them terribly, as opposed to holding any belief that I'll be counting down the days and making explicit plans to see them again very soon.

There should be no need to overemphasize how we feel about each other like this, whether while we depart or upon seeing one another after a long absence.  Perhaps just clarifying the statement would suffice, as in 'Now that I see you again I remember so many good times we once had together, and that makes me long for more of those times at this moment.'

Ehhhh ... that would take too long.  Never mind.  Good to see you again - I've missed you.


Song Of The Day:
I think we miss music sometimes, but it isn't until we hear a song again from years ago that we remember when we used to love that song.  I don't know if I've ever missed hearing a song, as if it's very absence had a profound effect on my life's experiences at that moment.  But "I Miss You" by Blink 182 is a great song that I hadn't heard in a while and it came to mind as I was writing this post.  And doggone it if I didn't start missing that song as I composed the post above.  Now that I've heard it, I doubt I'll miss it again for a long time.  I hope the song is okay with that.

...

No comments:

Post a Comment